Pages

Wednesday 5 February 2014

A BREAK AWAY & THEN SOME PROGRESS!!

 
So, last Friday we pack ourselves and 2 grandies into the car along with bags and drinks. We were headed to 'Tooleybuc' (isn't that a great name for a river town) where we were staying for the weekend. And it was hot, so damned hot. I hate hot - like 48deg Celsius hot. I like warm like 25-30deg Celsius but no hotter.   
We stopped at Hay for lunch and more cold drinks and then headed towards Balranald.
 
 
Above and below are two views of the Hay Plains. That is not a crop in the background of the first photo - it green weeds - we were very surprised to see that any trees had new green leaves and all the weeds were green - there must have been some rain recently. And the clouds are not rain clouds!!

 
Just look at the vibrant blue that sky is - it would be lovely in the spring or autumn because it wouldn't be so hot!!!Just as we got to Balranald (another great name!!) we turned left and headed to Tooleybuc. I have always wanted to go to Balranald and was disappointed to be so close but so far - a trip in the cooler weather is on the agenda now just to see Balranald. I have a thing about side tripping into little country towns, and I like to be able to say I have been to ...................
 
 
we pulled into Tooleybuc at 3pm and how happy were we all - the air con was already on in the cabin. There was a lovely big deck off the cabin that overlooked the river as can be seen in the above photo, but unfortunately we could only use it in the morning or in the dark because it faced west and got that damned awful HOT sun in the afternoon!!!

 
How good does that water look - the grandies wanted to go swimming but grouchy old Ma-ma said no - wait for your father because this grandmother does not swim in rivers and he can be responsible for one of you drowning not me!!! their response - 'we can swim!!!' They didn't go swimming in the river much to their disgust.
 
 
A morning walk along the riverbank - just love gum trees along the river - and there were several different types with different coloured and textured bark. let it be known I DO NOT like gum trees in house yards or gardens!!!lol; they have their place on riverbanks.

 
I also love rivers. The Murray is a majestic river winding its way from one side of the state to the other becoming the border between NSW and Victoria. as you can see it rather low. I am always amazed how our pioneers managed to negotiate this old girl in the paddle steamers. 
 
 
I also have a thing for old bridges - maybe because I am in awe of the man hours and hand skills that produced them. And the most amazing thing is that after all of these years they are still standing - this is a 1 lane bridge and it still takes the weight of B-Doubles crossing it (I know because I watched many go over it whilst we were there.
 
I do not have any photos of Swan Hill because it was too hot to do anything. Whilst the other adults attended the wedding on the riverbank at the Pioneer Settlement, Abbey, Lachlan and I hired some DVDs, bought party pies, chips and drinks and went back to Tooleybuc and spent the afternoon in the cabin with air conditioning. My daughter in law told me that when she got into the car which was under a shady tree after the wedding it said the outside temperature was 48degrees - and that everyone was saturated from perspiring before the ceremony y started.
 
We did stop off at Mildura and Deniliquin on the way home but only for a stretch and a cold drink - way to hot to do anything else. I love Echuca so we will be doing a trip back to look around Swan Hill more and revisit Echuca again when it is cooler!!
 
 
Yesterday and today have been lazy days but I have finally got back to painting the shelves for my sewing room. Above are three of them finished and in place. The window behind will be removed eventually. Now I have to cut more shelves but I need to work out what I am putting where first so I know how many I need.
 
 
This is the cupboard to go in the gap in the photo above. I still have the desk to paint and move in there plus 3 other shelving units to paint. As I don't have any grandies with me until the April holidays I should be able to get them done over the next couple of weeks and start moving all of my sewing and craft stuff in. I am soooo looking forward to that - I am really fed up with having to go into mums to sew - it will be really nice to be able to just go in there and sew whenever I have a few minutes to spare as it will be all set up.

 
And to finish off today, this is our newest family member. Ziggy (named by the grandies) is a Bob Tail and only 3 months old. He replaces my little Bobby Girl who we think was bitten by a snake a while back. if you ever have the chance to own one of these take. They are so affectionate and cheeky, they talk to you all the time, and are time wasters as they amuse themselves with anything and you can't help but watch them.
 
That is it from me for a few days - I am hoping to do some catch up work around the house as we have had a cool reprieve today and tomorrow will be the same - but the temps is back up to 40 on the weekend. I am so looking forward to Autumn!!!
 
 
 
 
 


3 comments:

  1. 48 celsius! That sounds too hot for me, I don't know how I would survive! But I am a Norwegian, and not used to that high temperatures. I think it is too hot in summer when it gets up to 28 -30 :) Nice to see the pictures from your trip. Your sewing room will be great with all the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow thankyou for sharing your trip with us Kerrie i love your pics,we also love the mighty Murray River,sounds like you all had a wonderful time,and well done with your cupboards your sewing room is coming along really well.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll certainly have plenty of shelf space when done... but you can never have enough...so keep painting...lol
    Your new space will be wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments!!